4/23/2017 RYDQUIST SEALS DOMINANT WIN FOR PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT GROUP AT BUTTONWILLOW ENDURO
Redondo Beach, CA (April 23, 2017) - Coming straight from a USTCC win at Laguna Seca, Carl Rydquist put in a determined drive to take top honors in the second round of the 2017 NASA WERC series. The race started with the closest battle the ES (GT) class has seen since 2015, eventually Rydquist worked up enough of a lead to control the race until the finish.
"It was hard racing all the way until the flag, a true workout for the car and myself", Carl says. "I felt good but we were on our toes the whole race so it's definitely one I will remember!".
5/21/2016 RYDQUIST SECOND AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY
Fontana, CA (May 21, 2017) - Racedriver Carl Rydquist finished second in the second round of the 2017 United States Touring Car Championship. It was a close race which Rydquist lead for a spell but ultimately he finished with just over one second gap to 2016 USTCC GT champion Daniel Akhromstev. Rydquist and Akhromstev are now tied for the GT points lead.
"We should be quick here but I was struggling to get the front tires up to temp", Carl laments. "Therefore my corner exits suffered and I couldn't keep up or put enough pressure on Daniel. We still got good points and learned some more so we will bring it at Sonoma."
4/17/2017 RYDQUIST CRUISES TO WIN IN WET LAGUNA SECA PREMIERE
Monterey, CA (April 17, 2017) - Racedriver Carl Rydquist won from pole position in his first race in the United States Touring Car Championship. The race started in wet conditions but the rain stopped 10 minutes into the race, making the final 20 minutes a challenge of tire management.
"This looked easier than in was because I initially pulled out a big lead on our Hankook rain tires." Carl explains. "However, when the track dried up, the other drives who were on slicks could catch up big time and if not careful the rain tires can get completely useless from overheating. Therefore the race was a complex mix of pushing at first in the rain, then managing the tire temperature while not letting the competitors catch up. It was a big relief when the checkered flag came out!"
3/17/2017 DISAPPOINTING AND INSPIRING NASA ENDURANCE SEASON PREMIERE
Rosamond, CA (March 17, 2017) - It was a tough start to the 2017 NASA WERC title bid for the Prototype Development Group and Carl Rydquist. Rydquist claimed pole position for the ES class and started the race on front row alongside Ryno Racings LMP2 Ginetta at Willow Springs International Raceway, one of the highest speed tracks in North America. Leading the ES class by a large margin, the team had to retire the car due to a transmission problem.
"It can't get any rarer than this, an internal ballbearing fell apart in this just rebuilt transmission." Carl explains. "It was very inspring to see the increase in speed from the car though, with our new engine tune from Road Race Engineering and our improved aero package with the APR GT 1000 dual element low-drag high downforce carbon fiber wing."
12/7/2016 PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT GROUP MISSES OUT ON TOP RESULT, FINISHES 8TH IN THE 25
Redondo Beach, CA (December 7, 2016) - 2016 saw Carl Rydquist make his third and the Prototype Development Group make their 10th appearance in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. The team was up in 3rd place in the ES/GT class by halftime, and later ran solidly in 4th position when a rear suspension component broke approximately 21 hours into the race. The team dropped from 4th to 9th in class (7th to 29th overall) as they had to engage in repairs, and eventually finished as 8th in class and 26th overall.
- Everyone performed really well and things looked promising until the broken balljoint that disrupted our chances to get a top result After repairs we had full pace to the checkered flag which is a big achievement in itself. The team worked great together and my team-mates that I drove with Mike Holland, Beau Borders and Troy Lindstrom drove superbly. Our appreciation goes to the many volunteers, our sponsors and to NASA for their hard work to organize this great race!
8/13/2016 RYDQUIST/HOLLAND CLAIMS 3RD IN UTAH 6hr, SEALS VICE CHAMPION TITLE FOR TEAM PDG
Redondo Beach, CA (August 8, 2016) - Entering the weekend on equal points with main 2016 National Auto Sport Association Endurance Racing Championship title rivals Truspeed Autosport, Carl Rydquist and PDG team driver USTCC GT and NASA Endurance champion Mike Holland had one target for the season finale in Utah; finish ahead of the Truspeed Porsche. Rydquist put the Prototype Deveopment Group Factory Five GTM on 2nd row in qualifying with Truspeed just behind and also drove the opening stint.
- It was immediately obvious that our 6-hour tire choice and race setup was too conservative and made us slower than calculated considering laptime, but we had a very edgy strategy.
However due to a failed spark plug cable the team never got to fully reap the rewards, too much time would be lost on pitting unscheduled so Rydquist and Holland had to drive a majority of the race with only 7 cylinders firing. The two PDG drivers were still able to dice their way up the leaderboard and finish 3rd overall behind Truspeed Autosport's Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and Makes&Models' Lamborghini Huracan GT3, and by doing so they sealed the 2016 NASA WERC Vice Champion title for team PDG.
7/18/2016 DOUBLE TROUBLE HUB FAILURE COST DOUBLE WINS, RYDQUIST 4TH AND 2ND AT WILLOW SPRINGS
Redondo Beach, CA (July 18, 2016) - Carl Rydquist claimed his fifth consecutive pole position in the 2016 National Auto Sport Association Endurance Racing Championship at Willow Springs International Raceway, with the target to round up enough championship points in Saturday's and Sunday's back to back races to make the season finale in Utah an easy race. Rydquist lead Saturday's race by 3/4 of a lap when suddenly a big vibration forced him to pit, the crew quickly identified a left rear hub failure. After replacement, Rydquist managed to return just in time for the last laps and salvaged a 4th in class finish. In Sunday's race, Rydquist moved from 13th grid spot to 3rd by turn one, and passed for the lead one lap later. Yet again, the left rear hub had an issue with wheel bolts coming undone, forcing Rydquist to pit twice unplanned, relinquishing the lead to the Truspeed Autosport Porsche 911 GT3.
- The team had prepared to a tee and the PDG4 GTM is nothing short of amazing to drive. These hub failures have never occurred before, and appears to be the result of our increased speed and grip this season. Since this was a Saturday night plus Sunday morning double race weekend the team had no chance to do any R&D inbetween, so this one issue cost us a lot of championship points.
6/18/2016 OVERHEATED ENGINE DROPS CARL FROM 1ST TO 4TH, RETAINS CHAMPIONSHIP LEAD
Redondo Beach, CA (June 18, 2016) - In the third race of the 2016 National Auto Sport Association Endurance Racing Championship Rydquist claimed his third consective pole position [fourth including Rydquist's Pirelli World Challenge podium-winning appearance in March for CA Sport at Circuit of the Americas]. Rydquist fended off the initial challenge from Truspeed Autosport's Porsche 911 GT3 and then opened up a large lead. With one hour to go in the 3-hour race twilight race, engine overheating forced Rydquist to pit and ultimately end the race outside the podium trio.
- The car ran fantastic with our new Ridetech 3-way competition shock absorbers that Ron Sutton Race Technology delivered and helped set up. So our speed was excellent but traffic was uncharacteristically challenging and a backmarker's surprise move forced a pass to take place off the tarmac. Ultimately the debris collected in the radiator from that event lead to the overheat. What a shame but we know the car was very fast and ran flawlessly up until that point, and we bagged important championship points thanks to the distance covered before retiring from the race.
4/17/2016 RYDQUIST WINS AGAIN TO EXTEND NASA ENDURANCE RACING CHAMPIONSHIP LEAD
Redondo Beach, CA (April 17, 2016) - Carl Rydquist claimed his second consecutive overall win in the 2016 National Auto Sport Association Endurance Racing Championship's second round of the year and extends the Prototype Development Group's championship lead. Rydquist put the #4 Factory Five Racing GTM supercar on pole position on the technical Buttonwillow Raceway Park during a chaotic qualifying that was temporarily halted when another car went off track and forced officials to stop the session in order to retrieve that car safely. As the race begun, Rydquist fought off a temporary charge from main rival, Truspeed Autosport's Porsche, and as the sun set he managed to lap the entire field and stayed in the lead until the checkered flag. Read more HERE.
3/13/2016 RYDQUIST SWEEPS 2016 NASA ENDURANCE RACING OPENER FROM POLE TO WIN
Redondo Beach, CA (March 13, 2016) - Just back in Calfornia from a podium finish and fastest race lap in the Pirelli World Challenge at Circuit of the Americas in Texas, Carl Rydquist kept the momentum going in the National Auto Sport Association Endurance Racing season opener at the fast and challenging Willow Springs International Raceway. He put the Prototype Development Group's #4 Factory Five Racing GTM supercar firmly on pole position during Friday's wet qualifying session, and then went onto take the overall win in the 3 hour long twilight endurance race in a field of 20 cars. Read more HERE.
3/6/2016 CARL RYDQUIST KICKS OFF 2016 WORLD CHALLENGE SEASON WITH A PODIUM
Redondo Beach, CA (March 6, 2016) - Carl Rydquist and the CA Sport Nissan Team came to Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas with the #34 CA Sport Champion Spark Plugs Team Nissan 370Z Nismo ready to rock and hoping for a podium finish. Austin offered perfect weather conditions and large crowds of fans came out to enjoy the Pirelli World Challenge season opener. After the dust had settled, Carl Rydquist came home with a 3rd place podium from a truly nail-biting race 1 and a pole position for race 2. Read the full article HERE.
3/2/2016 RYDQUIST READY FOR PIRELLI WORLD CHALLENGE AT CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS
Redondo Beach, CA. This coming weekend, Carl Rydquist will once again be behind the wheel of one of CA Sport's Nissan 370Z Nismo racecars. In a record sized starting field he will race the #34 car in the the Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car class.
- First of all I want to give a special thank you to CA Sport, Road Race Engineering, Champion Spark Plugs, and Pettit Kohn Ingrassia & Lutz for making this opportunity come alive. To race at the phenomenal Circuit of the Americas in one of the tightest and most exciting touring car racing leagues out there encompasses everything a racer can dream of.
The PWC Touring Car Class will run two races, one on Friday evening and one on Saturday noon [local times], and all the action will be available through PWC's excellent livestream for viewers around the world. Additionally, the races will air primetime on CBS Sports TV, Thu March 17th .
- CA Sport came home with a win last year so I couldn't be more pleased than to race with a top team. I'm really anxious to see where we stand after the opening sessions. The target is always to win but at the beginning of a new season one can only speculate on which team will start off with the upper hand. That said, my job is to go as fast as possible and to put on a great couple of races!
Comprehensive race information, CBS Sports TV Schedule, MotorTrend Livestream and live timing links, and much more is available HERE
2/15/2016 RYDQUIST KICKS OFF 2016 WITH THE PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT GROUP
Redondo Beach, CA. Carl Rydquist has teamed up with the Prototype Development Group for the 2016 NASA [National AutoSport Association] racing season and last weekend they started on a pre-season test program with the team's notorious and championship winning #4 Factory Five Racing GTM.
- It was really great to get on the track to apply ideas after a couple of months of conversations and preparations. Personally I feel that the PDG4 GTM is one of the most fun cars I have driven and as a team it was very positive to come home with a fast car being even a little bit faster, and we gathered a lot of data and learning from testing different parts and settings on the car.
Comprehensive info and footage from the test day is available in the Rydquist Racing Newsletter, sign up HERE.
12/10/2015 RYDQUIST EXTENDS PARTNERSHIP WITH CHAMPION SPARKPLUGS
Redondo Beach, CA. Carl Rydquist will continue to represent Champion Spark Plugs in 2016. "Silly season" between the racing seasons is in full swing and Carl's racing schedule and details will be announced early in the new year.
- We are talking to sponsors to match up the best matrix for everyone about which team and which racing series to compete in next year. By February everything needs to be lined up as most leagues start off early March.
12/06/2015 RYDQUIST 5TH WITH NISSAN AT THUNDERHILL
Willows, CA. Rydquist had a jojo type race in the 2015 edition of the 25H of Thunderhill, moving up and down the rankings as the race progessed. Ultimately a couple of minor racing incidents from Rydquist's co-drivers pulled the #33 CA Sport Nissan 370Z down from 3rd but Rydquist and the CA Sport team still managed to bring home 5th in the extremely competitive E0 class.
- Personally I had a great race and an absolute blast, the CA Sport car was incredibly good to drive, we had great support from NissanRaceshop.com and great power-band thanks to the Berk Technology exhaust components on the car. A few glitches took away a podium finish but I am confident that we can make it happen in 2016.
10/31/2015 CARL RYDQUIST TO RACE FOR CA SPORT IN 2015 25H OF THUNDERHILL
Redondo Beach, CA. Carl Rydquist will complete the 2015 racing season with North America's longest sports car race. On Dec 5-6 he will compete in a Nissan 370Z campaigned by Pirelli World Challenge racing team CA Sport, based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- I have raced Nissans in various Time Attack and drifting events since 2008 so I know how strong these cars are and it's going to be a blast to step into a Nismo Nissan 370Z prepped to professional sports car racing standards. The team placed both their cars on the podium last year and I look forward to bettering that this year!
4/25/2015 RYDQUIST ON PODIUM PACE IN VLN2 AT THE NURBURGRING, ENDS 7TH
Nurburg, Germany. Carl Rydquist with team-mates Bertin and Eugen Sing of Motorsport Sing had a great race in the team's Mercedes-Benz SLK350 in the second VLN race of the season and held a strong 3rd place behind two Porsches until bad luck struck in the form of another car that crashed into the #404 Mercedes.
- The impact came from a really novice attempt to pass. The other car from team Swiss Racing is from a much quicker class and can pass basically anywhere on the track but their driver got it completely wrong heading into a turn where our SLK was already on the race line and right up at the apex when he arrived. It's a shame that VLN despite all the licensing efforts still has drivers making such basic mistakes.
- On the good side was the pace in the SLK and everything up until that point in a challenging race with mixed dry and wet conditions.
9/5/2014 CARL RYDQUIST AT #STOPCANCER CHARITY FASHION SHOW
Malibu, CA. Racedriver Carl Rydquist and his wife Jennifer appeared at a #STOPCANCER charity event in Malibu on Thursday, an even attended also by actor Armie Hammer and sponsored by designer fashion brands John Varvatos and Morgane LeFay NY.
- First time on a cat walk [for me] which was a very different experience but if Helio Castroneves can dance on TV I can make a few rounds up and down a catwalk. I really believe in the work STOP CANCER is doing, the charity has raised more than $59 million that has funded nearly 250 grants and more than 200 cancer researchers to date.
- Jennifer looked spectacular in her Morgane LeFay dresses and I really liked the John Varvatos outfits I wore, in fact I have added a suit to my wardrobe just like the one I wore at the fashion show. The I.C.O.N. stylists deserve a big applause for a great job to get me sorted out for this event which fell right inbetween races. Thanks to the STOP CANCER event producers and to everyone who contributed to the cause!
10/15/2014 RYDQUIST LEAVES FD BEHIND, "...WANT MORE TIME FOR RACING AND STUNT DRIVING"
Redondo Beach, CA. Effective immediately, Carl Rydquist is leaving Formula Drift to utilize his SAG stuntdriver status and to focus on racing.
- I want to thank Berk Technology, Road Race Engineering and every single sponsor that has been a part of our FD program. We had two fantastic and intensive years to catch up from scratch with the car build and style requirements of modern day competitive drifting. We won a podium finish and a #1 qualifier score in the Pro2 category marking a high point of this program and showcasing the skill and performance of the RRE/Berk/Rydquist Racing team and all of our partners. Everyone came through and the products were top notch! I am now really looking forward to use my improved drifting skills for on-camera stunt driving and especially to get back to what I do best, drive fast and win races!
5/31/2014 CARL RYDQUIST SCORES PODIUM AT MIAMI-HOMESTEAD
Miami, FL. Carl Rydquist laid down the #1 qualifying score in the PRO2 qualifying and then went on to claim a 3rd place finish after a close battle with Nate Hamilton, 2nd. Geoff Stoneback won 1st.
- This is a huge reward for the whole Road Race Engineering / Berk Technology / Rydquist Racing team. Making the transition to professional drifting is not an overnight process, there are many obstacles to get the car sorted, adapt the driving style and not least there are no laptimes, it's all about appeasing the judges. This track really suited the 350Z and I actually didn't do anything especially different with my driving, we just got the setup right and the car was able to be a little bit faster here which has been the achilles heel for a season and a half. With the car being quicker here it was so much easier to do a competitive tandem follow run, and it gave us a solid podium finish!
6/20/2017 RYDQUIST WINS HOT SONOMA BATTLE, PRAISES "BRILLIANT TEAM"
Sonoma, CA (June 20, 2017) - Racedriver Carl Rydquist won the third round of the 2017 United States Touring Car Championship season opener this last weekend at Sonoma Raceway, driving the Prototype Development Group's Factory Five GTM owned by Yvonne and Richard Migliori. Rydquist made a hard charge from the standing start, shot down the middle of the reverse starting grid and took an early lead ahead of last year's GT champion Daniel Akhromstev following an intense first lap door-to-door battle. Rydquist went on to claim his second USTCC victory. Sam Stowell in the BAF Racing Sterling Flow Jaguar XKRS captured second place and Felipe Loza's Pepster Garage Chevrolet Camaro rounded out the top three.
"Brilliant preparation by the team! Jim Haussler set it up absolutely perfect and our Ridetech Suspension package really showed its worth. I am really thankful that I had such a spectacular car to drive today", Carl commented.